This meta question asks whether identifying geological features are on topic. As the votes are equally split between yes and no, and the post that started the original discussion has been reopened, I think the issue is worth revisiting.
I think it's on-topic because
We have other identification questions on the site like it,
- These types of questions have been asked on the main site and have generally been well received.
To answer the objections,
- Is this question useful to anyone else?
5,800 people have viewed this one, and most of that did not come from the HNQ.
- How would anyone find this question again.
It just needs a descriptive title.
- Most of these photos (that one included as iStockphoto is pay site) is probably covered by copy write issues.
This could be a problem, but it's not specific to the topic, and sometimes people are asking about pictures that they took.
- Will the site descend into a pub quiz of "spot the mountain", "name this person", etc. etc. type question.
I highly doubt it.