Here is the reason we might want to do this,
We could graduate tomorrow and still not get a theme in the next two years.
If you don't believe me, check the list of the latest sites to have graduated. As you can see of the last 11, only two have themes.
However, it is possible with the use of some scripting to design a theme ahead of time. That way we can bounce ideas and make it look pretty ahead of time.
So far I have a proof of concept script up and have made three small changes, adding a border to the tags, changing the color of the questions and changing the upvote icon on upvoted post to a green tree icon that I found for free.
The script is here in a Github repository, to give it a try in Chrome you will need to install Tampermonkey and then copy and paste this file into the Create a new script option. (Upvoting now feels like planting trees)
Things we can change
- Icons for upvoting (I like the green tree)
- Icons after downvoting (maybe thunderclouds/ tree on fire)
- Special badge icons (maybe carabiners?)
- Background color of accepted answers
- Favorite icon (maybe a sun icon?)
- Change the tag background color
- Change the font colors
- Create a header image
- Probably more things I haven't thought of.
What people could help with
- Creating the icons
- Coming up with ideas for the color scheme
- Testing it out once we have more of it written
- Actually writing the script.
Thinks to note.
- This won't change anything for anyone who doesn't have the script running.
- Let's host the icons with imgur just like all of the other images.
- If you want to contribute to the Github repo, I believe that I just need your Github username to add you. Let's do the feature request branch style, with all changes to master being done with pull requests.
- This is my first Tampermonkey script ever, I probably messed something up somewhere.