I would really like to see the community vote more often around here.
Reasons for upvoting more.
It makes the site look good to have upvoted questions because that means people are involved. To see a bad example of this consider the Joomla site. where the highest voted question on the home page has 3 upvotes.
It gets questions onto the Hot Network Questions list, which brings in lots of new users and votes and visitors to the site.
It encourages people to come back and provide more content and be active on the site with all of the things that don't result in rep like flagging/editing/reviewing.
- More upvotes means more rep to spend on downvotes and bounties for difficult questions.
- It encourages people to really take the time to research things and write excellent answers. (rep is how we pay people for their efforts)
It increases the number of users with the ability to moderate the site and spread the work out.
- Right now questions aren't being closed because not enough people are reviewing them before the votes age out.
- Doubly so for reopening questions.
- Some of the spam/rude/really poor answers are taking a while to be reviewed.
The faster an edit is approved, the more likely a person is to suggest more (I hate waiting 48 hours to find out if an edit was approved/rejected)
We could use more users with the ability to delete the junk that gets posted on here every so often.
More rep means more available flags.
We could use more users with full editing privileges to help clean up the site.
- Part of site graduation means the privilege levels go back to normal, which will reduce the number of users with those privileges. I don't think we would be able to graduate if it would sharply cut down on the user based moderation on the site.
Reasons to downvote more
- Anytime you flag an answer as Very Low Quality or Not An Answer it's worth downvoting as a negative score makes it eligible for deletion and more likely that your flag is marked helpful.
- Some answers don't actually answer the question.
- Some users post walls of text that make your eyes bleed.
- Some answers are flat out wrong.
- Some answers just restate other answers.
Reasons to review more.
- The faster we can close and reopen questions the better. Otherwise, we risk invalidating answers posted before closing and discouraging people from fixing their questions to be on topic.
- Encourage more people to suggest edits which improve the quality of the posts.
- Quickly remove the spam/rude posts (this is pretty rare, but when it does happen, we ought to burn it with fire)