There are some rather poor titles that while they make sense to the person asking, are rather useless at helping anyone else know what the question is about from the title alone or for people coming to the site from Google.
- What this instrument is used for?
- What is this tent piece called?
- What is this fish hook type called?
- Can you help identify this fish i caught?
- What knot is this one? What are its purposes?
All of the ones above were found by searching for questions with the word this in the title.
The problem with question like these, What is this small insect? is that they are not very useful to anyone other than the OP. There are many, many kinds of small insects, not just the one in question.
The other example is people asking "Is this question on topic?" on meta which isn't very useful at all.
For example we could change some of them to
- What is a fish hook with a solid hook eye called?
- What is the purpose and name of this swiss army knife tool with a hole and a sharp edge on one side?
- Can you help me identify this long green fish caught in southern Ontario?
- What kind of animal might have stripped off the bark and made a large number of holes in this tree in the woods? (We could add the tree location in the title but I don't think it would be absolutely necessary, and might make the title too long.)
- What is this round, shiny black bug, about 10mm long, found in Singapore?
Can we try to make the titles more unique and descriptive and specific to the question?