I believe that the tag should be renamed to as FiveFingers is the official name of the product. Also, I recommend making fivefingers a synonym.

  • Is anyone actually doing anything about this? Seems reasonable to me.
    – user2766
    Mar 19, 2014 at 21:48
  • @Liam The moderators are all absent.
    – Mr.Wizard
    Mar 20, 2014 at 6:10
  • Absent? As in temporarily away or not moderating any more?
    – user2766
    Mar 20, 2014 at 10:18
  • 1
    @Liam I meant only as in they are probably outdoors the last couple of days. I do note that two of the moderators haven't bothered to visit meta in some while though, as you can see here.
    – Mr.Wizard
    Mar 20, 2014 at 12:53
  • 1
    @Liam Just because we don't act doesn't mean we don't see.
    – Kevin
    Mar 20, 2014 at 14:10
  • 2
    Since Vibram and FiveFingers are both brand names, but there are many competing products, would it not be better to rename it altogether to toe-sandals or minimalist-footwear some such?
    – choster
    Apr 1, 2014 at 18:16

2 Answers 2


I'm not so sure about this. I understand that the official spelling is FiveFingers, but the CamelCase distinguishes the two words in it. Since we don't have uppercase letters in tags, I think five-fingers is more clear.

  • Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    – Mr.Wizard
    Mar 20, 2014 at 15:11

I want to put @choster´s comment as a votable answer here, because I find it very important:

We should not rename the tag, but delete it! It´s a product name, do you want to get a tag for every product (or even for every toe-sandal)? I think we should, at least in tags, stay absolutely neutral. So we delete product names and put, in replacement for , create/use the tag . We can still create a synonym for it, so the individual products get connected to this tag.

  • 1
    In principle I agree, but in practice I see this a problematic. I'd never heard of "toe sandals" before choster's comment. Vibram FiveFingers were the first popular product, so that's what people call these; it's like Zipper or Velcro. Nobody talks about a "linear interlocking-tooth closure" so finding discussion about that with a search engine isn't easy, when you are looking for Zipper. Velcro is a softer example, and you do see ads describing "hook-and-loop closure" but again that's not what people usually call it in conversation, and Velcro is more recognizable.
    – Mr.Wizard
    Apr 29, 2014 at 23:11
  • @Mr.Wizard You got a point here. Still, I think most of the issues could be prevented by creating the brand or product name as a synonym to the "official tag". I don´t know how this would affect search engine results. Btw, whats Velcro? Apr 30, 2014 at 8:33
  • I guess that's an Americanism. What do you call this stuff? (Actually I just read on that page that the company is based in The Netherlands.)
    – Mr.Wizard
    Apr 30, 2014 at 8:37
  • @Mr.Wizard Klettband. But thats german, I don´t know any english word for it ;) In the dictionary it says "hook-and-loop band" or "Velcro(R)"... Apr 30, 2014 at 8:43

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .