I was recently reading this article and it had an interesting insight that I think is relevant to us:

Why do American climbers call it “Rappelling”?

They chose the French term for sliding down a rope whereas we chose the German. Nothing more to it than that.

Now we have two tags and not to mention (though this one should disappear soon). What do we do about this? What's SE's policy on this kind of thing?

  • We can set as synonyms. Doesn't really matter which is the master.
    – Rory Alsop Mod
    Feb 10, 2015 at 9:18
  • I thought synonyms were eventually merged @RoryAlsop?
    – user2766
    Feb 10, 2015 at 9:52
  • 3
    Often, but not mandatory :-)
    – Rory Alsop Mod
    Feb 10, 2015 at 10:08

1 Answer 1


I think it would be good to set them as synonyms. It might help prevent confusion, since it is not necessarily clear to everyone that both things mean the same.

You must log in to answer this question.