The question Are all Alpine winterraums just for emergency? has been tagged with . It is the first question with this tag and I was wondering whether this is a term used in English?
If it is not, would probably be better suited.


As far as I am aware we use Winterraum in English as well - we don't translate it. Probably because we don't really have anything similar here - we have bothies (which I think are like refugio) but no separate room.

So I'm fine with it being tagged .

  • I suspected this but wasn't sure as a wiki article to winterroom was added to the question. It isn't the only German word in English either. Thanks for the info.
    – imsodin
    Sep 23 '16 at 17:05
  • 1
    I'm the one who put in that wikipedia link in to winter room, because I had never heard of one and wanted to add a reference. When I searched for winterraum, wikipedia directed it to winter room, with winterraum as an alternate term. Wikipedia does have a winterraum page but it's in German. Everything else on the front Google search page is also in German. Sep 23 '16 at 20:06
  • 3
    In the interest of serving the whole community, would it make sense to create winter-room as a synonym so that it would automatically switch to winterraum when used? Sep 23 '16 at 20:09

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .